Saturday, November 10, 2007

My Great Grandmother's Antique Clock

On my mother's last trip to Louisiana, she visited my Aunt Ruby who had my great grandmother Beullah Jackson Mayfield's small Ansonian grandfather clock. The clock was a part my mother's childhood growing up in Alexandria, Louisiana. It's been in the family for over a hundred years. At the time, my mother didn't even know how old the clock really was or who the maker was. The clock still works, but the cover was broken, the chime did not work, and the wood was tarnished. My mother decided to bring the clock back to California to have the clock fixed and the wood polished. When I went to visit my mother last week, she showed me the clock. I was really fascinated by it so I did my own investigation and discovered that maker of the clock was the Ansonia Clock Co. Ansonia was a major producer of clocks back in the 19th century. This model was known as the America Clock was made between 1885 and 1895. Thus, we have an official anitque clock in our family. I don't know. I just thought that was pretty cool.

No comments: